Sunday, September 21, 2014

those humbling moments.

About two years ago, I was able to follow my dream & go dance for a company outside of the country. I was able to visit beautiful places and learn from beautiful cultures. One of my favorite places we were able to visit was CAMBODIA. I have never experienced such genuine and amazing people. People that were so happy and yet, had almost nothing. This truly opened my eyes and made me realize how much I take things for granted... how we all do. We live is such a fast pace and demanding world right now...and we forget to take a step back and look at all we have. Many of the people I came in contact with in Cambodia lived in small shacks and worked so hard each day to just put dinner on the table that night. Teenagers were working to put their younger siblings through school & family sacrifice took on a whole new meaning over there. I realized my life was full of "first world problems", and that I needed to change things up a bit. Our world is full of iphones & technology, fast cars, and worldly cares.... over there... it's just family & the moment. They don't have houses, they don't have cars, they don't have electricity or cell phones... they just have each other... & I thought it was absolutely beautiful. I felt a different spirit in Cambodia that I can't explain. People were so giving & slowed down to enjoy life and each other.
... so instead of looking at all of things you don't have, take a minute to look at everything you DO. We are so blessed & sometimes we let the world get the best of us. We are told we need to look a certain way or have a certain thing to make us happy. Well if we live like this, we are never going to be happy. Someone gave me great advice about this in regards to my body. If you are always hating on your body and always trying to change it, you are never, ever going to be happy with it. The same concept can be applied to life. You aren't ever going to be satisfied if you are always trying to look for the next best. You need to LOVE right where you are... & if you know there are necessary changes that need to be made... then do them. 
...so take a minute to put down that cell phone and smell the roses. There is much to be learned away from that screen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment