Sunday, November 30, 2014

Wellness.

I am currently a student at Brigham Young University studying Exercise & Wellness. I started out wanting to do Dietetics and ended up getting into the program at BYU, but after going through my disorder, I realized that Dietetics might not be a good route. I had become so obsessed with counting calories and only eating the healthiest food I could find and I felt like the Dietetics program might only make that worse. My heart was no longer set on this particular program and I ended up turning it down. I went and did a dance job abroad with Disney instead and decided to jump into the Exercise & Wellness major when I returned 6 months later. After recently tackling an addiction in this area I didn't know if any type of degree in exercise would be smart, but I knew that I was interested in that field and decided to pursue it. The part that really intrigued me was the "wellness" part of the major title and I discovered that the purpose I chose my major was because of that word. 

WELLNESS is an important and beautiful word. It is where you are in a healthy state physically, mentally, and emotionally. I have loved learning about these elements in school and want to help people achieve overall wellness. I want to help people be healthy and happy in all areas of their lives and I wouldn't have really discovered that without going through my eating disorder and choosing to study Exercise and Wellness. 

So my "wellness" tips for the week: 

- be patient. patience is something that is so hard for me. I am quick to get frustrated and give up on something...even when it is just me that thinks something is amiss. You may need to practice patience with something big in your life, or something very small... whatever it is, be patient with not only others, but yourself. Don't be quick to jump ship or throw something good away. Don't give up on yourself if you are trying to conquer a hardship. It is all about baby steps. 

-fill your life with important things. Sometimes Satan and the world can make unimportant things seem important. Read up on Richard G. Scotts talk (a member of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles) titled "Make the Exercise of Faith your First Priority", found on lds.org, and make a list of what is most important to you. Don't let distractions get in the way of what is most important. Look at things with a bigger perspective. I want you to make that list and focus on improving one of them this week. 

-make your brain & heart happy. Exercise your brain this week. Read a book, listen to an educational TED talk, sign up to learn a language. Get your brain working! .. also don't forget to make your heart happy and get some physical activity in. Get out in the snow and learn how to ski, take an aerobics class, go play tennis with a friend. There is so much you can do to make your body & heart feeling good! Recommendations: 5 days a week. 30 minutes. Moderate to vigorous intensity. This is a basic recommendation to maintain weight and good health. Also, try and eat 2-3 fruits & veggies a day and decrease your sweet intake. Don't eliminate it, just decrease it a little. We all could use it after our Thanksgiving feasts:) 

-spend time with those you love. After this Thanksgiving break,  I realized how much I love being with my family and how important they are to me. I am very lucky to have people who love me and make me a better person. This week, make some time to spend it with friends, family, and those you love. These interactions will help increase your mood and keep you going:) 

Have a great week everyone! Its time for that Christmas spirit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment