Monday, November 3, 2014

lend a helping hand

A lot of times we don't know why we went through something difficult in our lives.. especially in the moment...it is hard to see the WHY and the GROWTH we go through. I know now why I went through my eating disorder... and that is to help other people. I forget how many people, especially women, go through something similar to an eating disorder and are in need of some help. A lot of times these people are quiet and their difficult situation goes unnoticed. They may be the sweet and happy ones that portray something completely different on the outside then what they are going through on the inside. I'm here to help those people... 
As individuals we try to act like everything is GOOD in our lives, and with social media, it makes it seem like everyone is living that way. A lot of times all we see is the "good", and we hardly ever hear about the "bad". This makes it seem like the things we are going through aren't normal and that there is something wrong with us. It also makes us feel like we can keep our problems inside and handle them ourselves. We want to fit the mold and the norm and make it seem like we have it all together.... but here is the thing... none of us do. We all have issues. Our bad days and our negative thoughts... we aren't perfect no matter how much we try to portray that. 
So I am here to tell you that it is okay to admit that you are down and broken. It is okay to admit that you have a problem. We all have problems! One of the hardest things was admitting I had a problem to those around me and facing it. The word "eating disorder" freaks people out and it is a subject we tend to ignore and try to get rid of silently. Well here is the thing... so many people go through eating disorders and food issues. It is healthy to put your issues out in the open and talk about them. Seek the help and and use all of the amazing resources around you. 

Seek out a Therapist. Everyone--no matter your circumstance--could benefit from seeing a therapist. There are several ways to access one whether at your school or in your community. It is healthy to go talk to someone about things going on in your life and get a grip on your thoughts and how you are feeling. I am going to start to see a therapist for different struggles I am going through and I couldn't be more excited about it. Message me if you would like some recommendations on who to see:) 

Seek out a Dietitian. I know that we have access to a Dietitian at my University, and I know they have them at multiple universities and clinics in your community. Go talk to one and figure out a healthy diet that will give you energy and make you feel good. Get the facts down on counting calories and weight gain/loss and find a plan that works for you and benefits your body! I didn't even think about seeing a Dietitian when I was going through my eating disorder and I wish I would've. 

Talk to a friend. This is where I come in! Lately I have been able to help girls struggling with "food issues" in a variety of ways. I have been through these things myself, and sometimes that is the easiest way to start to HELP yourself. Go talk to someone that has been through a similar situation. They could be a huge help and give you some great advice on what worked for them. If any of you want to contact me, I would love to listen and help. Contact me with a personal message on Facebook- Sadie Rae George- is my name when you are looking me up. I am not only here to talk about eating disorders, but anything that you may be going through. 

Don't be afraid to admit you have a problem. Don't ever think that the things you feel and the thoughts you have aren't normal.. you will be surprised at how many of us have the same ones. 

Come talk to me! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment