Friday, August 22, 2014

keep pushing forward.

I'm not sure if I will ever fully overcome my eating disorder. The progress I have made is unmeasurable, and I feel like the pieces of my life have found their way back together, but I still go through those brief moments where I hate the way my body looks... I mean what girl doesn't really? ... I dance everyday and have to look at my body in tight dance clothes,in the mirror, for hours. Our minds can become so skewed in the way our bodies really look and as women, we are quick to compare our bodies to others. Some things that help me stay in the right mind set are: 

1. Don't use a scale. 
I used to weigh myself 2 or 3 times a day and the numbers would haunt me. That is the thing..... they are just numbers. I think they are a good base to go off of, but don't think you have to weigh a certain amount just because society tells you you have to. I go more off of the way my body feels then the scale. If you are going to weigh yourself, try to cut down the number of times you do it to once a week. 

2. Be in tune with your body.
It is crazy how interconnected everything is when it comes to the human body. When you eat a lot of junk, you feel it. You aren't as happy, you have less energy, and you just feel gross. When you eat healthy, you feel good! ...it's as simple as that. Instead of using a scale I just try to really stay in tune with how my body is feeling and what it needs. I try to give my body the nutrition it needs, as well as the physical activity, but not over do it. I am all about the fruits and veggies, but sometimes a cookie is just what you need:) I wouldn't touch sweets for the longest time during my eating disorder, but what I didn't know is that there can be a happy medium. I'm not telling you to binge out on dessert, but don't be afraid to eat it a little bit in moderation. If your body is getting the proper physical activity and nutrition, a cookie won't ruin that:) 

3. Don't forget to tell yourself how BEAUTIFUL you are. 
A lot of times we forget how beautiful our bodies really are. We were carved and created by a perfect Heavenly Father that made each and every limb special. He pieced us together in such a particular and beautiful way, and sometimes all we see are the things that we don't like. I want you to cherish your body a little more. Look at the amazing things you are able to do with it! I know it is cheesy and sometimes difficult, but make a list of things you love about your body. When all I see are the things I want to change, I don't realize how blessed I am to be able to run, jump, dance, and do the things I love with the body I have been given. Embrace everything about your body, from your head to your toes, and never forget the unique beauty that you have inside and out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment