Sunday, August 17, 2014

one of those days...

We all have them. Those days where everything seems to be going wrong and we are feeling down. Those days when we have been trying to improve and be better, and all of our progress seems to crumble in front of us. 

If you are trying to overcome something as overpowering as an eating disorder, this can happen A LOT

Sometimes you just want to throw in the towel and disappear from the world for a while. Sometimes you think it is not worth it and all you can really do is cry.... & that's okay.

we all have one of those days... no matter our situation. 
...it's normal. 


I probably have these days more than I should. There is not always an explanation, and when that's the case, I seem to get even MORE annoyed with myself and everything around me. What is the cure? I am still working on that, but here are a few things I try that seem to help. 

1. Accept it. 
So many times I feel like I try to fight the negative way I am feeling and force myself to fake a smile and be happy. I have found that when I do this, it just makes it worse. I am not telling you to allow yourself to be mad or annoyed all of the time, but you should accept your emotion, and then move on from it. Sometimes it just feels good to cry or yell like a crazy person! And that's okay! As long as your freak out isn't negatively affecting someone else---let it out. I really like to write out all of my feelings and say whatever I want. I usually end up deleting it later, but it makes me feel a lot better... especially if my emotions at the time, and why I have them, can't be explained. I like to write. Cry. Vent (when appropriate). So don't try and fake it as much....Let it out and then move forward. 

2. Make a list 
Make a gratitude list. Once you start counting your blessings, you realize how truly lucky you are and those negative vibes seem to disappear a little. 

3. Work it out
I know that this is a blog about overcoming an eating disorder, but sometimes getting out of the house and sweating it out is all you need. 
Go on a walk, ride your bike, go to the gym...whatever gets those endorphins going! "Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands...they just don't"--Elle Woods (Legally Blonde) :) 

4. Social or Solo? 
Everyone is different when it comes to having days like this. Some people like to surround themselves with friends and loved ones, while others like to be by themselves. Which ever one works for you, take some time out of your day to make it happen and help you get out of your rut. Go do something you love and haven't done for a while. 

5. Deep breaths
Last but not least... breath. It sounds cheesy, but it really helps! Take a minute, close your eyes, and take 10 deeeeeep breaths. See if it makes a difference. 

Don't give up!! Remember to keep trying and pushing forward. Remember that trying is all you can do and you will have bad days. It's life.... especially when overcoming something big. You are making SO MUCH PROGRESS from just trying... even if you don't see it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment